Open Shop Volunteer Opportunities
- Shop Greeter: Greet and sign-in shop visitors during open shop hours. Handle monetary transactions, log-in donated bikes and provide information to visitors. (Requirements: Attend Volunteer Orientation. Additional training to be provided by UBP at your leisure)
- Inner Tube Patcher: Help sort and fix all the punctured inner tubes that Urban Bike Project goes through. (Requirements: Attend Volunteer Orientation. Patching can be taught on-site).
- Sorter: Perfect for those who are looking to become future mechanics. The shop always has an assortment of parts that need sorting. Learn which parts are which when helping the shop get organized. (Requirements: Volunteer Orientation.)
- Mechanic: During open shop hours, mechanics work alongside people and teach them how to fix their bikes. Mechanics do not fix bikes directly, but provide the community the skills necessary to be self-reliant with their bikes (Requirements: Attend Volunteer Orientation. Attend Mechanics Course or have advanced knowledge with bicycle maintenance.)
- Free Bike Mechanic: Work in your own private area and prepare bikes for the Free Bikes Program. (Requirements: Attend Volunteer Orientation. Attend Mechanics Course or have advanced knowledge with bicycle maintenance.)
- Youth Mechanic: Work with those under 18 years of age on their bicycles. (Requirements: Attend Volunteer Orientation. Attend Mechanics Course or have advanced knowledge with bicycle maintenance. Special youth mechanic training will be provided)
Bike/Donation Pick Up
Description: Pick up bikes donated by individuals in New Castle County that cannot get to the shop themselves. Scheduling is flexible, you will be in contact with the individuals to arrange the pick ups when it is convenient for you. (Requirements: Vehicle such as a truck or van. Basic mechanical skills removing pedals and turning handlebars).
Urban Bike Project is invited to community events often. At these events, we need volunteers to help give information out about Urban Bike Project and bicycle safety, do bike checkups, run bike valet parking, or whatever the event may call for. Keep an eye on the website and Facebook page for opportunities to help. You can also join our email list, where we send out information on the events that need volunteers.
For further information about volunteering contact us at email@example.com with your name, contact information and how you are interested in participating.